In our ongoing mission to provide seniors with the tools to live their best lives, we at Optima Living take a holistic approach to the construction of our new communities, ensuring every aspect is carefully chosen to reflect the needs of seniors and to encourage well-being and vibrancy in every stage of life.
Aster Gardens, one of the newest members of the Optima Living family, has been constructed primarily of concrete. You may be wondering why this is important to know. Building with concrete has become very popular in recent years. Not only do concrete buildings outwardly look the same as wooden structures, but there are also many added benefits to choosing concrete that directly translate to improved quality of life for residents.
The Benefits of Building with Concrete
1. Eco-Friendly: Keeping up with today’s tendency to go green, building with concrete is very environmentally friendly. Concrete consists largely of recycled materials, decreasing the need for lumber. Concrete structures are also more durable against deterioration and will also last longer than wooden buildings. Aster Gardens is here to stay!
2. Energy Savings: According to Concrete Alberta, concrete buildings have up to 50% lower heating and cooling costs annually. Concrete insulates better than wood, therefore controlling indoor temperatures more effectively. Not only can we pass savings on to our residents, they can rest assured that they will be cool in summer and warm in winter.
3. Sound Barrier: Interestingly, concrete also insulates sound more effectively than other building materials. According to experts, concrete buildings can mask sound up to 75% more than a typical wooden-built structure. There will always be quiet and peaceful nights between active days!
4. Durability: As one can imagine, concrete can strongly withstand the elements of Mother Nature. Studies have proven that concrete can withstand 250mph winds! There’s no question that you will be safe at home.
5. Pest Control: The likelihood of pest infestation is much lower with concrete, because the walls do not harbour ants, insects, or rodents like wooden walls often do.
6. Fire Safety: Concrete is a safer choice against fires. Concrete is treated with flame retardants and will therefore not spread a fire like wood or other building materials. It can also withstand temperatures of 2000℉ for several hours before succumbing to heat. Between the concrete construction and state-of-the-art alarm system, safety is an everyday part of life at Aster Gardens.
7. Allergy-Friendly: Concrete is made of non-toxic materials and is free of harmful chemicals such as formaldehyde and asbestos. Additionally, concrete material does not support mold, mildew, and other air-borne contaminants. That means every senior is welcome and can live free of fear.
We used concrete to build Aster Gardens to provide a safe and strong building for our residents. We built with you in mind, and we can’t wait for you to experience Aster Gardens!
To book your COVID-safe tour, contact Linda Portsmouth, our Community Leasing Coordinator, at 780.902.7837 or [email protected].